Beginning as the Collinsville Memorial Public Library in 1915 at 408 West Main St., Collinsville, IL, the Library was an arm of the City of Collinsville. In 2004 the Collinsville Library with acceptance from the City of Collinsville converted into a Library District separating itself legally from the City of Collinsville and changing its name to the Mississippi Valley Library District. In 2006 the Library District asked the voters to expand its boundaries to include all of Fairmont City and all of the Unit 10 School District that was not in any other library district. The result was a favorable vote for all areas.
The Mississippi Valley Library District now has two Centers -The Collinsville Memorial Library Center and The Fairmont City Library Center to serve its 34,362 members.